Sexting and the law
If anyone under the age of 18 is sexting (i.e. sending indecent images of themselves), they’re also breaking the law. You can find out more about sexting and the law on the Think You Know website but in brief it’s a criminal offence to:
- TAKE an indecent image of someone under the age of 18 (which includes someone taking an image of themselves).
- MAKE an indecent image of someone under 18 (i.e. copy it or save it to another device).
- SEND an indecent image of someone 18 to another person.
- ASK someone under 18 to take an indecent image of themselves.
- HAVE an indecent image of someone under 18.
As a parent a good thing to remember about the law is that it is there to protect young people from harm and from being exploited and it’s not designed to punish them for making genuine mistakes.That said, every case is different and is always dealt with based on the circumstances and facts involved.