Laws in England may be different from your home country’s. This especially applies to tobacco, alcohol and self defence sprays.
You must not carry drugs with you of any kind (unless prescribed by a doctor), or use any illegal drugs including LSD or amphetamines. You must be 18 to buy and smoke cigarettes of tobacco.
It is illegal to carry weapons, including self-defence sprays.
You must be 18 to buy alcohol – most English pubs don’t welcome under 18’s.

What If Something Happens?

If you are assaulted, followed or threatened go to a shop, a police station or any public building and ask for help. Ask somebody to contact the Police for you. Do not worry about language difficulties, the Police will find someone who speaks your language free of charge. If anything happens to you, do not keep it to yourself, tell your tutor, your host family or someone you can trust.
Most host families are given a set of guidelines explaining what is expected of them during your stay. These should include standards such as reasonable and clean living conditions and the facility to shower or bath daily.
Even though you are staying in someone else’s home you are still entitled to your privacy. However, remember you are a guest in their home. Most host families will have their own house rules, for example if you are asked to back at a certain times please respect the request. Also, always ask before you bring people home with you.
Remember to always ask permission to borrow or use something and never take anything from your host’s home without asking first.
You must tell your tutor or language school if;
  • anybody behaves in a way you fell is unacceptable
  • your living or sleeping conditions are not suitable
  • your food is not suitable
  • you are not allowed home before a given time
  • you feel threatened or afraid for any reason.
  • Should you have any problems or you fell homesick, don’t suffer alone, speak to your tutor.
In an emergency you can dial 999 for the Police, Fire Service, Ambulance or Coastguard. 999 calls are free from any telephone.
Non Emergencies
For non-emergency calls to Devon and Cornwall Police call 101.