Cannabis Edibles

What are Cannabis Edibles?

Edibles are food products that may contain cannabis. There are many forms of edibles, including sweets, gummies, and lollipops. They usually contain – or are marketed as containing – several chemicals, many of which are harmful and controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Act (1971) including tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC is the psychoactive compound in cannabis and can make people feel a range of effects, while cannabidiol (CBD) is the non-psychoactive chemical compound which does not have the same effect. Any CBD product containing THC is illegal in the UK.

The sweet versions are widely available on the internet and via social media and may be easily accessed by young people. The packaging is often deliberately targeted to attract young people. There is NO quality control of these products.

What are the concerns about Cannabis Edibles?

The amount of cannabis in these products can vary greatly and sometimes other harmful drugs are added too. The effects of consuming edibles are unpredictable, and it can be very easy to accidentally take a larger dose. Edibles take between 1-3 hours to have an effect because food is absorbed into the bloodstream through the liver. Because it takes longer, the person taking them may end up consuming larger amounts of the drug while thinking the drug isn’t working. As edibles may look like other products, there is also the risk someone may ingest them without realising they contain drugs – this could include other children in the home.
Displayed side effects may include:
Paranoia, panic attacks, nausea, impaired mobility, hyperactivity, elevated heart rate, hallucinations.

What can you do?

We recommend monitoring food packaging/wrappers, looking for wording such as CBD or THC suggesting the items are cannabis oil infused. (See image right)

For the latest information on drug trends, visit the Frank news page.

Please be mindful of the medical needs should a child present with symptoms, or if you suspect they have consumed a drug-laced substance. In a medical emergency call 999.


Any drug with THC in is classed as a class B under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971

If you are made aware of any social media accounts advertising these items, we ask you report this information to the police, school, or log your concerns anonymously using Crime Stoppers.
You can also report any incidents to us online: Devon and Cornwall Police.

Share this:


Work Experience Online

Domestic Abuse