Welcome to the Child Centred Policing web site for Devon and Cornwall Police and Dorset Police
Devon and Cornwall Police and Dorset Police are committed to providing a child-centred police force to all children and young people across the two force areas, in particular to:
- Ensure the safeguarding of children and young people is at the forefront of all we do.
- Provide dedicated and specialist services to children and young people who are victims.
- Reduce the number of young people entering the criminal justice system, providing alternate diversion activities.
- Use the Adverse Child Experience theory to identify vulnerable children and young people and provide early intervention
- Fully support the National Police Chief Council’s Children and young person’s strategy and identified priorities
View the Devon, Cornwall and Dorset Action Plan for Child Centred Policing
National Strategy for the Policing of Children and Young People
Children and young people (C&YP) account for over 12 million of the population in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. They come from a wide range of backgrounds with different cultures and experiences. Many of them will come into contact with the police service as they grow up for a myriad of reasons. In this strategy we have set out our key principles which we believe are important when policing children and young people.
Also on the DCDhub network
DCDhub.org is a website produced by Devon, Cornwall and Dorset Police for professionals working with children and young people.
Operation Encompass is a unique Police and Education early intervention safeguarding partnership which supports children and young people exposed to domestic abuse.
Early intervention is a key area of business that Devon & Cornwall and Dorset police are exploring as part of the evidence based policing being led through the Alliance’s Prevention Department.